Wouter Vandenhole teaches human rights law and holds the UNICEF Chair in Children’s Rights at the University of Antwerp. He is a member of the research groups Law and Development and Constitutional and Administrative Law at the Faculty of Law.
Wouter Vandenhole graduated in law at the University of Leuven (Belgium), obtained an LL.M. in Law in Development from the University of Warwick (United Kingdom) and holds a PhD. of the University of Leuven. He has previously held positions at the University of Leuven, Tilburg University (the Netherlands) and the European Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Democratisation (Venice, Italy).
His research interests include children's rights, human rights, in particular economic, social and cultural rights, and the relationship between human rights law and development.
He is the author of inter alia Article 26: the Right to Benefit from Social Security in the Commentary on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff, 2007), Non-Discrimination and Equality in the View of the UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies (Antwerp: Intersentia, 2005) and The Procedures Before the UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies: Divergence or Convergence? (Antwerp: Intersentia, 2004), and has co-edited Casting the Net Wider: Human Rights, Development and New Duty-Bearers (Antwerp: Intersentia, 2007) and Protocol No. 14 and the Reform of the European Court of Human Rights (Antwerp: Intersentia, 2005).
Wouter Vandenhole sits on the editorial board of Human Rights & International Legal Discourse, an international peer reviewed journal that seeks to highlight the interplay between human rights law and international law.
Past and Current Positions
From October 1995 to September 2002, Wouter Vandenhole was a full-time assistant at the Catholic University of Leuven. After a brief spell from September 2002 to February 2003, during which he was a senior teaching fellow at the European Master's Program in Human Rights and Democratisation, he returned to the Catholic University of Leuven as a postdoctoral fellow of the Research Fund (February 2003 to 2005). He was a senior researcher at the Center for Transboundary Legal Development at Tilburg University from 2005 to October 2007.
Wouter Vandenhole holds the UNICEF Chair in Children’s Rights at the University of Antwerp as of 1 January 2007, and is a member of the research groups Law and Development and Constitutional and Administrative Law of the Faculty of Law of the University of Antwerp. He actively participates in COST Action A28 (Human Rights, Peace and Security in EU Foreign Policy) of the Association of Human Rights Institutes (AHRI), the Academic Network on the European Social Charter (ANESC) and the International Human Rights Obligations Network (IntHRON). He is a member of the European Network of Masters in Children's Rights .
- children's rights
- Human rights and development - right to development - social action litigation
- European Convention on Human Rights: general - execution of judgments - reopening of domestic procedures
- Economic, social and cultural rights: general - an Optional Protocol to the ICESCR - third state obligations
- The UN Committees for human rights: general principles of procedural law - the principle of equality
Legal reforms of Belgian development cooperation - human rights based approach to development and development co-operation
Current research focuses on children's rights and on the consequences for development contracts of the extraterritorial application of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
- Casting the Net Wider: Human Rights, Development and New Duty-Bearers, Antwerp: Intersentia, November 2007, 462 p. (co-editor with M.E. Salomon and A. Tostensen).
- 'Economic, Social and Cultural Rights in the CRC: Is There a Legal Obligation to Cooperate Internationally for Development?', International Journal of Children's Rights 2007, forthcoming.
- 'Article 26: the Right to Benefit from Social Security' in A. ALEN, J. VANDE LANOTTE, E. VERHELLEN and others (eds.), A Commentary on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, Leiden/Boston, Martinus Nijhoff, 2007, 44 p.
- 'Third State Obligations under the ICESCR: a Case Study of EU Sugar Policy', 76 Nordic Journal of International Law 2007, 73-100.
- Non- Discrimination and Equality in the View of the UN Human rights Treaty Bodies , Antwerp: Intersentia, 2005, 293 + xiii p.
The Procedures Before the UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies: Convergence or Divergence?, Antwerp, Intersentia, 2004, 331 + xx p.
Protocol No. 14 and the Reform of the European Court of Human Rights, Antwerp, Intersentia, 2005, 153 + xii p. (co-editor, with Paul Lemmens)
- 'Completing the UN Complaint Mechanisms for Human Rights Violations Step by Step: Towards a Complaints Procedure to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights', 21 Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights 2003/3, 423-465.
- 'The Human Right to Development as a Paradox', 36 Verfassung und Recht in Übersee. Law and Politics in Africa, Asia and Latin America 2003/3, 377-404.
- 'Human Rights Law, Development and Social Action Litigation in India', 2 Asia-Pacific Journal on Human Rights and the Law 2002, 136-210.